Celebrate Library Week
As regular library users, every week may feel like Library Week! However, one week a year is designated as National Library Week. In 2008, the dates are April 13-19.
The occasion provides a nice opportunity for some nice opportunities for learner/tutor sessions. Some learner activity ideas include:
- Write a thank-you note for the city council, library board, or others who support the literacy program at the library through money or advocacy.
- Invite someone who has never visited the library to a personal tour with you.
- Donate a book you love to the library’s collection.
- Visit a senior housing complex and offer to read aloud to someone who has developed poor eyesight or would like some company.
- Write a poem about the library. Any style of poem will do!
- Research the history of libraries in the United States. (Did you know that the first free publicly-supported library in the U.S. was founded in Boston?)
Happy Library Week!