We Need You!
What are the requirements?
- An interest in working with other adults who need to improve their reading and writing skills.
- A consistent block of time for 2 hours, at least once, and in some cases twice a week, to work with your student.
- Commitment of six months to the literacy program once you have been trained.
- You must attend the1.5-hour Orientation prior to registering for training.
- You must attend the14-hour Training Workshop to learn how to effectively work with an adult student.
- You must have patience, sensitivity, and flexibility.
How am I trained?
Because our students come to us with a combination of backgrounds, all our workshops train tutors to develop skills for a variety of student needs. Trainees are instructed in the multicultural awareness and learn to use a combination of materials developed for adult learners, such as Michigan Literacy and ProLiteracy Worldwide programs. The workshops are given throughout the year and are held on Saturdays at the San Rafael Public Library or a nearby location. There is a $25.00 one-time charge for registration and materials.
For training and orientation dates, call 415-485-3318.
to Projects & Events page